Moving out of your parents’ house for the first time can be a very stressful process. It’s normal to be nervous and scared to be living on your own, so we wanted to make it a bit easier for you. In this article we’ve listed everything you need to buy and do when you move out, so that you won’t forget anything! Think of things such as furniture, contracts and subscriptions and other necessities: thanks to this checklist you’ll be prepared and ready to move out!
When you’re used to living with your parents and you’ve never had to think twice about adult stuff like groceries, subscriptions and other monthly expenses, it can be quite overwhelming to have to do everything by yourself all of a sudden. Therefore we recommend to prepare yourself as well as possible.
- Make sure you know how to do basic household tasks, like using a washer and dryer, ironing, vacuuming and making your bed. Ask your parents for help and the by the time you live alone, you’ll know what to do!
- Decide where you want to live, if you want to live with roommates or alone, and what your budget is. Then look online, ask around or work with a real estate agent to find a place suitable for your wishes!
- When you’ve found a place you like, you have to decide what you’ll need to do to the place to make it liveable. Do you need to paint or clean anything? Does it come with appliances or do you need to bring your own? Bring someone to inspect the house with and decide what needs to be done!
Once you’ve found your new place, you obviously need to furnish it. You can decorate it however you want, but some basic items are a must have for everyone!
- You’ll need a bed, of course. Usually stores like Ikea and VidaXL sell bed frames and mattresses for reasonable prices, so they are definitely worth checking out. There’s also beds available with storage space underneath: these are handy especially when you don’t have much space.
- Not everyone has their own kitchen or living room when living with roommates for example, but if you do, you’ll need a kitchen table and chairs. You can buy these online or search for cheap ones in a thrift store or outlet store for example!
Do you have family or friends with a van or a big car? Then perhaps you can move everything yourself. If you have too many big items or you cannot use someone’s vehicle, you’ll maybe need to rent a bus or van to move your stuff. You can also hire a company to move everything for you, but this will obviously be more expensive. You can buy moving boxes from lots of places, and then you can start packing everything up!
As you can see in this article: moving out is quite the process and it will be very helpful to be prepared for everything. But don’t rush: enjoy the time you have with your parents and move out once you’re ready!